There are issues with all the wysiwyg editors out there. It’s a problem with Drupal too. It’s hard to make a browser-based tool that just works right.
What WordPress is trying to do is “clean” the code. This is useful in many situations but not always.
First: remember that you can always get less space by using “shift” with the “return” (or “enter”) key. that will give you one line break as opposed to a paragraph space. But what many WordPress users find is that they add a few extra line breaks but they don’t show up.
TWO WORDPRESS LINE BREAK HACKS
Insert this in HTML mode to create line break that survives WP “cleaner” (look at html):
<div style="margin-bottom:2em;"><span style="display:none;">.</span></div>
Adjust “size” of line break via “margin” CSS tag.
This line has 2em set above it – just to prove the code above works! Make sure you don’t paste in curly/smart quotes.
OR if you just want one line break add
<code><br ></code>. Note that this gets ‘cleaned’ whenever you switch from visual to html mode but it still works after the “br” part gets cleaned out. Again, you will see extra lines above this sentence.
PLUG-IN METHODS FOR LINE BREAKS
- Disable Visual Editor WYSIWYG: Adds a button in editor to disable the visual editor for that particular page/post. That gives you flexibility to add code but of course you lose the power of the visual editor.
- Turn off all HTML cleaning with this method. But that’s an issue with existing posts so not a flexible solution.
- Or try out the ‘advanced’ TinyMCE editor: http://wordpress.org or http://www.laptoptips.ca
- This post related to curly quotes is helpful
- And TextControl gives way more options — It reminds me of the MoveableType editor from way back when but I have not used it.
- WP Post Columns: This simple plugin lets you to easily create columns via a shortcode. It is old but still works fine. It can be sensitive to extra spaces. And I find the final [end_columns] code is not needed. Watch out in some themes where other CSS can conflict with how these columns are built.