AI1EC has many more features than GigPress—so I’ll start with a list of the advantages of the “All in one event calendar” (aka AI1EC) vs GigPress:
- More layouts: gigpress has just a list view; AI1EC has poster board and many more (daily, weekly, monthly and list/agenda) and allows user to switch between them
- Categories: in any layout user can pick one or a few categories to view. Tags are another option for filtering – and with some custom work you can rename these to be “Bands” and “venues” or something like that.
- Subscription by category: both plugins offer iCal subscription but AI1EC offers subscription by category (so if someone wanted just one “band” to appear in their calendar that is possible – but takes a couple steps so only technically sophisticated folks will do that I think.)
- Widgets – the AI1EC widget has that date thing on the left with a hover card for each entry. It would take more work to have it spit out a really simple format like gig press. But the AI1EC widget can show just one category which is a powerful feature.
- Facebook: AI1EC has a feature where it can push your events to Facebook – not as posts to your Facebook wall but as Facebook “events”. I have not used this feature yet and saw some bugs with it in the last version of AI1EC.
- AI1EC makes a separate “page” for each event
- AI1EC makes recurring events easy
However, GigPress has an advantage with fewer features – it’s easier to use if it fits your needs. If you only need list views of events and don’t mind linking to separate posts (that you need to make as a separate step – if you even need a whole post/page for events) then GigPress might be a great choice for you.
A list of my AI1EC sample sites