HelloARI logo: vinyl signs and identity design home«    web design«    sign design«    photography«    blog«    contact«

web design and wordpress development 94114
blog»
san frnacisco web design

How to remove a Google account from “Choose an account” page list

1 Flares 1 Flares ×

google-sign-in-remove-button-missing

Here’s a quick tip on something very simple that I could not figure out for the longest time. One of those bugs that was somehow thought to be a feature at some point in the development process over at Google. Too busy not doing evil, I guess…

The graphic above is very straightforward and familiar to anyone who uses more than one Google account.  Easy to add or remove accounts, right? The tricky part is that if you are logged into any of these accounts then you will not see the “remove” button. Instead, it will look like this (with just “add an account”):

add account - no remove

Add and Login to Remove?

In other words, to remove an account you have to log out of a different account but it doesn’t tell you which account you are logged into. And to find this page in the first place you have to “Add account” from the top right menu – so you have to add an account and then log out of an account in order to remove an account.

There are many ways to end up on this page I suspect – jumping between Google services such as Adwords or Google Analytics, for example. These are some of the URLs that will bring up the “Choose an account” list:

How to log out? visit accounts.google.com/logout and Google will log you out — then the remove button will be visible.

Some of the keywords I tried to find an answer online:

• How to remove a Google account from your list of accounts on the “Choose an account” page?
  • How to remove sessions from Google accounts?
  • Google account +remove button missing

More links:

If you have never seen this interface it might be helpful at this point to know that once you can see the “remove” button then it’s very simple: click the “remove” button and ‘x’ any accounts that you want to remove from the list. This will not delete accounts of course, just remove them from the saved list. See the “Choose an account” picture at top.

Update 10/2014: Thanks for the overwhelmingly positive feedback on this post — seems like it’s been helpful to many people.

Update 11/2015:  It’s super simple to set the default Google account. You just have to log out of all the accounts and then first one you log in, is the one which will be the default, and then the next account you log in to will be the secondary account(s).
Details: osxdaily.com

1 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 LinkedIn 1 Email -- 1 Flares ×
This entry was posted in Product Reviews, Web Design. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

120 Comments

1. Matthew
    Posted March 19, 2014 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks Ari. This blog post answered my question fast and clearly.

• Sharon
      Posted June 29, 2015 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

THANK YOU ARI!! I agree 1Googleplex percent with Mr Matthew!

2. Posted March 29, 2014 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

what a god send…
    i thought was going crazy as i couldnt find out how to get rid of some old accounts.

3. Rebecca
    Posted April 30, 2014 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks! Helped a lot and straight to the point for an answer!

4. Rashid
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 3:02 am | Permalink

5. Aysha
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Thank you for this. I spent a solid 20 minutes trying to figure it out. Who decided that was a good design?!

6. David
    Posted June 22, 2014 at 12:44 am | Permalink

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
    I am frustrated by this for ssssssssssoooooooooo loooooooooonnnnnngggggggg.

Google devs were not too sober when developing this feature.

DH

7. Féidhlim
    Posted June 25, 2014 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Boy isn’t it easy when it’s easy – but not a second before! Thanks for the help.

8. endy
    Posted July 3, 2014 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Thank you so much for this, it was driving me crazy. I noticed over 3 months have passed since you wrote this, so it looks like Google is not planning to fix it.

9. LG
    Posted July 20, 2014 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Thnx… i lost hours of my time trying to find HOW TO DO THIS.

10. Rebecca
    Posted August 4, 2014 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Wow. I did it, thanks to you! I still don’t understand, but at least I got rid of what I wanted gone! Thanks.

11. I Hate Google
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much! I hate Google. I’ve been trying to find this answer off and on for months.

12. Maureen
    Posted August 31, 2014 at 5:23 am | Permalink

Above is my first email address that automatically sends received messages to my Prime
    Email which is {removed}
    I can’t get into above rvtravel address to read my received emails as an old email keeps coming
    up as my premier email.
    I have had this problem occur quite often and sometimes I fix it myself but not this time.

13. Sandi
    Posted September 1, 2014 at 10:55 am | Permalink

I brought a tab from pawn shop and they didnt reset and I need to no how to remove this account. Help!!!!!!!!!!

14. Jacob
    Posted September 3, 2014 at 1:37 am | Permalink

Thank you very much indeed, this was driving me barmy!

15. Dennis
    Posted October 2, 2014 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much. this was %$##$@ me for weeks

16. Lori
    Posted October 3, 2014 at 12:13 am | Permalink

We were able to do this, but when we go back into the browser the account reappears. No matter how many times we remove the account it always shows up. Anyone have a solution for that? Thanks!

17. Vincent
    Posted October 9, 2014 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Eureka! I take it that clicking the button gives you the option of which account to delete? Or does it automatically delete all accounts on the list?

18. Conor Woods
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 9:26 am | Permalink

Thank You!

19. Posted November 1, 2014 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Thanks a lot …..

20. Posted November 6, 2014 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

THANK YOU! Google is fucked up, really…

21. David
    Posted November 26, 2014 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.

22. Gail
    Posted November 27, 2014 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

This post was very helpful. Now, does anyone know how to choose which email address to use as the default when logging in? I have 3 accounts in the dropdown list when I start typing to enter the email address to sign in and there is always one address already in the form box when I start typing.

It used to work perfectly, it used to always save the email address I log into the most as the default address for login, but now that most used one is third on the list and I have to select it instead of it just being pre-filled in the form field.

Anyone know how to select one account address to be the default?

23. basam
    Posted December 12, 2014 at 8:35 am | Permalink

I deleted my Gmail account
    But it is still in my list of choosing account
    Fuuuuuuuuiiiuiuuuuygrsddckgdss

24. Vismajor
    Posted December 22, 2014 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

Thanks a bunch for this! I’ve been trying to get rid of old accounts from that list for months, and it was driving me crazy!

25. Kirstin
    Posted January 6, 2015 at 11:05 am | Permalink

THANK You! You are the first one to explain it clearly.

26. dervlagrace
    Posted January 8, 2015 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Thank you! The multiple accounts have been driving me crazy!!! This is exactly the answer I was looking for.

27. Kath
    Posted January 13, 2015 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Thanks heaps.

28. Posted January 24, 2015 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

The “remove” button does NOT remove the accounts listed on the page on this computer. (And we really are going crazy!) It is a “shared” computer on our Ref Desk so different folks want to log in.

29. Posted January 24, 2015 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Oh, and also we cannot log in to our gmail accounts from there now either! Sad! 🙁

30. Richard
    Posted February 12, 2015 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Thanks, helped a lot.

31. alex
    Posted March 3, 2015 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

thanksssssssssss

32. Robert Frank
    Posted March 22, 2015 at 8:46 am | Permalink

Thanks from Germany for this hot tip, mate!

33. Al
    Posted March 22, 2015 at 11:33 am | Permalink

I am having this same problem, multiple accounts showing up in the list when I login. But there is no Remove button. There is also no Add Account button. Just a Create an Account button, which does just that (takes you to a create a new account page). Do I have a different version of Gmail or what? How do I get to the Remove button?

34. Frank
    Posted March 30, 2015 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

Thanks Ari. I followed your instructions and deleted a linked account but it hasn’t solved the bigger problem that began the moment I first linked two gmail accounts. Maybe you have some insight on this. I decided to link them because I was tired of having to log in and out of two different accounts and Google seemed to promise an easy solution. HOWEVER, the secondary account was the one connected to my blog, my YouTube, and my Picasa accounts, and the moment I linked the secondary gmail address to the primary one I lost access to these through the simple login process. Now, when I click on the secondary address, it shunts me onto the primary account where Google has thoughtfully set up brand new YouTube, Picasa and Blogger accounts for me with none of my previous content and no way to get to it. The only way I’ve been able to get to my original YouTube, Blogger, or Picasa is to go through Google’s recovery sequence and do a password reset. Thankfully I can at least do that. But as soon as I log out, access is lost again. Google is absolutely silent on this problem and I know there are thousands of us in the same boat. I’m ready to just ditch Google and all of its products even if it means losing thousands of photos in Picasa albums, and hundreds of YouTube videos. Nobody seems able to address this problem, least of all “Liz” from Google, who only chimes in when she wants to. Do you have any idea how to solve this problem? Thanks!

35. Posted April 1, 2015 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

I have two computers with both configured the same, e.g., Windows 7 with both Firefox and Chrome browsers. On one when I access my Google Accounts, all accounts I had created are still displayed for me to “choose an account.” This is great!

On the other computer, there is no repetition of my accounts and I must entere them again. Not so great!

What do I need to do to have my created accounts continue to appear from session-to-session when I sign in?

Thanks

36. Matt
    Posted April 4, 2015 at 7:30 am | Permalink

Super, super helpful. Thanks very much!

37. Kim
    Posted April 10, 2015 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Thank you for posting this!!

38. Robert Kazanjy
    Posted April 13, 2015 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Thanks… it seems like more & more often Google breaks things when they try to “add a feature / make things better”. 🙁

Better is the enemy of good enough.
    If it ain’t broken beware of fixing it.

Where’s the “Send $’s for a helpful answer” button? 🙂

thanks again for the solution

39. Narendra limbu
    Posted May 2, 2015 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Hi google This emai account is invalid for me and I signed out once but also is choose and account.

40. Al Bayless
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

I found this on the internet, and it works.

When you go to the sign in page,
    1. select (but do not open) the account you wish to delete.
    2. hit the Down arrow. This brings up the account name below in the password space
    3. hold down the Shift Key and hit Delete. This removes the lower username.
    4. highlight the original name again
    5. hold down the Shift Key and hit the Delete Key again. That removes the offending name!

41. Michael
    Posted May 8, 2015 at 6:05 am | Permalink

Unfortunately, this won’t work for me. I have several old accounts listed every time I go to access my Gmail, but these accounts themselves have actually been cancelled. The remove button is visible, but when I choose one of these old accounts, it is no longer visible. Any ideas?

• Al Bayless
      Posted June 3, 2015 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Follow the instructions I posted on May 5, 2015. They should work.

• Michael
        Posted June 10, 2015 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Thank you. I did follow your instructions and they worked perfectly!

42. Gareth
    Posted June 12, 2015 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

THANK YOU!!!

43. Cristian
    Posted June 20, 2015 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

Gracias amigo

44. Pamir
    Posted July 24, 2015 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Thanks for this small tip that helped me to solve a problem which has been bugging me

45. Lucian
    Posted July 25, 2015 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Great tip, it saved me from viewing there an account of a friend who only logged in once, about one year ago!

46. Betsy
    Posted July 28, 2015 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much!

47. Vic
    Posted July 31, 2015 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Thank you, thank you! I have been trying to do this for a month now! Ahhh!

48. Denica
    Posted September 14, 2015 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Thank You!!!! A LOT!

49. Posted September 15, 2015 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much, this is the #1 Google search result for “how to remove google account from sign in” and it totally solved this utterly unintuitive procedure. Thank you.

50. Nancy
    Posted October 2, 2015 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Thank you! This has also plagued me for months!

51. ana
    Posted October 14, 2015 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

52. albator
    Posted October 15, 2015 at 5:24 am | Permalink

I had two accounts, one for work, one personal.
    Left work, but the work account was still there, marked as default, and I could not remove it, because the “remove” button was not present.

The solution: I had to create a third account, log into that 3rd account, log out, go back to the sign-in page and … voila! Now I had access to the “remove” button, and I could remove the old work account.

• Posted June 13, 2016 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Nice simple efficient correct answer!!

• Travis Steeman
      Posted August 18, 2016 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

This is Precisely what I had to do in order to remove the old accounts from my list. Thank you so much to all who contributed to this response. Cheers.

53. Gergely
    Posted October 20, 2015 at 1:13 am | Permalink

You just type https://accounts.google.com/logout into the address bar and it will log you out and the remove button will be visible.

• Linda
      Posted December 10, 2015 at 8:46 am | Permalink

I can’t even thank you enough for this simple trick. I posted a thank you to the general thread but it was your comment that took care of it. THANK YOU!

• Lizmar
      Posted April 29, 2016 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Thank you so very much!

• Posted May 17, 2016 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

I have a corporate Google account and the main solution in the article didn’t work, however this method did. So thanks !

• Chris
      Posted June 16, 2016 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

OMG!!!! Worked like a charm! Thank you so much!

• Nanda
      Posted September 11, 2016 at 12:45 am | Permalink

THANKYOU!

• Brian
      Posted November 11, 2016 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Brilliant solution! Thanks!

• Keyyyi
      Posted January 29, 2017 at 4:22 am | Permalink

Thank you! You solve my problem.

54. Sheila
    Posted October 30, 2015 at 8:55 am | Permalink

Thank you so much! This was driving me crazy and I couldn’t figure out how to remove other accounts on my laptop! Genius!

55. Tony Jordan
    Posted November 6, 2015 at 11:51 am | Permalink

OMG. You’ve made my day, my week and maybe even my year! At some point my son logged in using his school Google account on one of my laptops (or I did it trying to access something school-related). Ever since, *his* login was the default on my devices and I couldn’t figure out how to remove it. I had even posted to a Google forum about this with no success. Then today I decided to try again to resolve this and I found your article. It worked!!! My son has been banished from my login page! Thanks so much!

56. Lola
    Posted November 26, 2015 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Helpful, thank you.

I am still not sure if removing this will actually separate out all those accounts.

I created a new gmail account for a group project I’m involved in. Although the password is obviously different, it seems that when I gave access to my colleagues to the new account, they also had access to private emails which were in the other account!

57. Grateful
    Posted December 10, 2015 at 7:09 am | Permalink

WOW! Thank you so much Gergely. So simple, and it works! In one short sentence, you provided the perfect, easy solution I’ve been looking for. Thanks again and good wishes!

58. Linda
    Posted December 10, 2015 at 8:44 am | Permalink

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. I could write that all day and it still wouldn’t be enough. (Have I said “Thank you?”)

59. Mark
    Posted December 14, 2015 at 5:40 am | Permalink

Thanks. It worked.

60. Larry
    Posted January 8, 2016 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Inane software prompts… “Remove” is a verb, but the “Remove” button doesn’t remove anything. It just allows you to “Select Accounts to Remove From This Screen”, after which you must select “Done” (not a verb, by the way) to take the action. Have any of these software programmers taken a basic English class?

BUT kudos to Ari for posting this blog for all of us who can’t figure out how to “speak Google”. Much appreciated!

61. Raviraj
    Posted January 20, 2016 at 4:28 am | Permalink

Great. Thanks.

62. Surya
    Posted January 20, 2016 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks it worked.
    https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin went here and logged out then I arrived at a page which prompted me to Removed accounts.

Thanks.

63. Reto
    Posted January 23, 2016 at 12:08 am | Permalink

Wow, after a looooong search i finally found what i needed. Thank you SO much!

64. Ravenheart
    Posted January 31, 2016 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Thx a lot dude … and thx to Gergely for the direct link

65. Steve
    Posted February 1, 2016 at 12:46 am | Permalink

Mate, thanks so much for this!!!

66. Parker
    Posted February 16, 2016 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

I have an older samsung galaxy s4 that just got a huge update. I have 3 gmail accounts on my phone and want to get rid of 2. Any ideas as I can’t get a remove button to appear.

67. Benny
    Posted February 19, 2016 at 8:12 am | Permalink

i hadn’t seen the red hint above but once logged out of ALL accounts, the remove button appears. great tip, thanks!

68. JeanEats
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

OMG! You’re a lifesaver… I couldn’t figure it out for nothing! LOL

69. Christine D
    Posted March 8, 2016 at 3:16 am | Permalink

thanks so much for this! it worked for me 🙂

70. ELLEN
    Posted March 27, 2016 at 9:11 am | Permalink

THANK YOU!!!!! HOW SIMPLE

71. Lizzy Shishido
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Google had their own search results for this question I’ve been having for several months. I just left it because I could never figure it out. No one wants their ex’s email address linked to their computer… I appreciate this post SO MUCH.

72. Rick
    Posted April 8, 2016 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Perfect! Thanks for writing this up!
    Top search result for me googling: “remove accounts from google login”

73. Kevin
    Posted April 15, 2016 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Anyone ever run into the problem where the remove account button doesn’t do anything? I can see it making the normal “click” movement when I click on it but nothing happens. 🙁

74. Eva
    Posted April 15, 2016 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Thank you!!!

75. Abena
    Posted April 15, 2016 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

THANK YOU.

76. Derek Broughton
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 2:26 am | Permalink

Oh…wow. I’d NEVER have worked that out.

77. Michelle
    Posted May 4, 2016 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

This saved me so much time!!! THANKYOU!

78. Brent
    Posted May 11, 2016 at 7:45 am | Permalink

Thank you! I kept telling my mother to use an Incognito tab but she wouldn’t listen…

79. Lauren
    Posted May 13, 2016 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Original date of post is 2014, but this is STILL the best, clearest, easiest advice – that works!

Thank you!

80. Kiesha
    Posted May 17, 2016 at 8:39 am | Permalink

I am still having the problem of seeing my username in the field where email address is. Even after I removed it, it still shows that at one point I logged into Gmail.

How do I delete this?

81. Pooran Panwar
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

you are a life saver. I spent hours on google forums and blogs, but of no use, until I bumped into your website – that, for some reason, doesn’t come up high in terms of relevancy. I think it’s intentional.

82. Grazia
    Posted June 1, 2016 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

Thank you!!!

83. Grateful
    Posted June 13, 2016 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

You are a god amongst men/women

84. Posted June 15, 2016 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Wanted to say thank you to the person whom placed the link for the sign out of account which show the REMOVE ACCOUNT Button. Thank you for providing this and support!
    Genovieve

85. Life Saver
    Posted July 12, 2016 at 9:40 am | Permalink

thanks you so much! It took me forever to find this. I couldn’t figure out why I only had add account, not manage!!!!!

-Life Saver

86. Matthew James Rawley
    Posted July 15, 2016 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

You are a God amongst men/women.
    You make Chuck Norris seem useless.
    You should be POTUS and Chief of the UN yesterday.

87. Ricahrd Menor
    Posted July 27, 2016 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

it’s not working on my computer. any alternative ways?

88. Spend 2 days
    Posted July 29, 2016 at 3:29 am | Permalink

Awesome article! THANK YOU!

89. Alison F.
    Posted August 1, 2016 at 8:56 am | Permalink

This works perfectly. Thanks so much for the clear explanation!

90. Matt
    Posted September 24, 2016 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

It’s not a bug (why would you think that it is?) Google inteltionally does this in attempts to keep accounts merged.

91. Terri R
    Posted October 6, 2016 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

I have a disabled gmail account that pops up as default and I can’t log into it to remove it…..can’t figure out how to do this…?

92. Jane
    Posted October 14, 2016 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Praise God for this post. I had so many old emails I could never figure out how to delete them in the log in page. Thank you for sharing!!

93. Harry
    Posted October 17, 2016 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Many thanks!

94. honey
    Posted November 10, 2016 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

simple, elegant, and it worked!

95. Vinayak Goyal
    Posted December 2, 2016 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Thank you so so much.
    You solved months of my headache.
    May god bless you for this.

96. jake
    Posted December 30, 2016 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Very nice!!! T’hank you, I have been searching for hours how to remove the accounts from that list.

97. Fabiano Souza
    Posted February 7, 2017 at 3:22 am | Permalink

Best article EVER

98. Alireza
    Posted February 11, 2017 at 5:45 am | Permalink

Really appreciate your work.
    Thanks!!

99. Brian
    Posted February 21, 2017 at 9:47 am | Permalink

YEEESSSSSS. Thank you. Wow, that was hard.

100. Heloisa
    Posted February 28, 2017 at 7:04 am | Permalink

Thank you!!

101. Conor
    Posted March 2, 2017 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Thank you!

102. Carly
    Posted May 9, 2017 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

This article totally fixed something that’s been bugging me for months!! Thank you!! 🙂

103. Fabiomalf
    Posted May 13, 2017 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the really exhaustive post!

104. Fabiomalf
    Posted May 13, 2017 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

Ok! Thanks again for the update 11/2015: This was my second questions. Seems you have all answers of my early morning questions.
    I definitely think that Google philosophy is: if a workaround exist, why develop a new code?

105. Renaud
    Posted August 5, 2017 at 4:28 am | Permalink

It works !
    Thank you very much !
    Have a great day wherever you are !