HelloARI logo: vinyl signs and identity design home«    web design«    sign design«    photography«    blog«    contact«
web design and wordpress development 94114
san frnacisco web design

How to remove a Google account from “Choose an account” page list

57 Flares 57 Flares ×

Here’s a quick tip on something very simple that I could not figure out for the longest time. One of those bugs that was somehow thought to be a feature at some point in the development process over at Google. Too busy not doing evil, I guess…

The graphic above is very straightforward and familiar to anyone who uses more than one Google account.  Easy to add or remove accounts, right? The tricky part is that if you are logged into any of these accounts then you will not see the “remove” button. Instead, it will look like this (with just “add an account”):

add account - no remove

Add and Login to Remove?

In other words, to remove an account you have to log out of a different account but it doesn’t tell you which account you are logged into. And to find this page in the first place you have to “Add account” from the top right menu – so you have to add an account and then log out of an account in order to remove an account.

There are many ways to end up on this page I suspect – jumping between Google services such as Adwords or Google Analytics, for example. These are some of the URLs that will bring up the “Choose an account” list:

Some of the keywords I tried to find an answer online:

• How to remove a Google account from your list of accounts on the “Choose an account” page?
  • How to remove sessions from Google accounts?
  • Google account +remove button missing

More links:

If you have never seen this interface it might be helpful at this point to know that once you can see the “remove” button then it’s very simple: click the “remove” button and ‘x’ any accounts that you want to remove from the list. This will not delete accounts of course, just remove them from the saved list. See the “Choose an account” picture at top.

Update 10/2014: Thanks for the overwhelmingly positive feedback on this post — seems like it’s been helpful to many people.

57 Flares Twitter 8 Facebook 37 Google+ 11 LinkedIn 1 Email -- 57 Flares ×
This entry was posted in Product Reviews, Web Design. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Matthew
    Posted March 19, 2014 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks Ari. This blog post answered my question fast and clearly.

• Sharon
      Posted June 29, 2015 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

THANK YOU ARI!! I agree 1Googleplex percent with Mr Matthew!

2. Posted March 29, 2014 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

what a god send…
    i thought was going crazy as i couldnt find out how to get rid of some old accounts.

3. Rebecca
    Posted April 30, 2014 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks! Helped a lot and straight to the point for an answer!

4. Rashid
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 3:02 am | Permalink

5. Aysha
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Thank you for this. I spent a solid 20 minutes trying to figure it out. Who decided that was a good design?!

6. David
    Posted June 22, 2014 at 12:44 am | Permalink

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
    I am frustrated by this for ssssssssssoooooooooo loooooooooonnnnnngggggggg.

Google devs were not too sober when developing this feature.

7. Féidhlim
    Posted June 25, 2014 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Boy isn’t it easy when it’s easy – but not a second before! Thanks for the help.

8. endy
    Posted July 3, 2014 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Thank you so much for this, it was driving me crazy. I noticed over 3 months have passed since you wrote this, so it looks like Google is not planning to fix it.

9. LG
    Posted July 20, 2014 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Thnx… i lost hours of my time trying to find HOW TO DO THIS.

10. Rebecca
    Posted August 4, 2014 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Wow. I did it, thanks to you! I still don’t understand, but at least I got rid of what I wanted gone! Thanks.

11. I Hate Google
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much! I hate Google. I’ve been trying to find this answer off and on for months.

12. Maureen
    Posted August 31, 2014 at 5:23 am | Permalink

Above is my first email address that automatically sends received messages to my Prime
    Email which is {removed}
    I can’t get into above rvtravel address to read my received emails as an old email keeps coming
    up as my premier email.
    I have had this problem occur quite often and sometimes I fix it myself but not this time.

13. Sandi
    Posted September 1, 2014 at 10:55 am | Permalink

I brought a tab from pawn shop and they didnt reset and I need to no how to remove this account. Help!!!!!!!!!!

14. Jacob
    Posted September 3, 2014 at 1:37 am | Permalink

Thank you very much indeed, this was driving me barmy!

15. Dennis
    Posted October 2, 2014 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much. this was %$##$@ me for weeks

16. Lori
    Posted October 3, 2014 at 12:13 am | Permalink

We were able to do this, but when we go back into the browser the account reappears. No matter how many times we remove the account it always shows up. Anyone have a solution for that? Thanks!

17. Vincent
    Posted October 9, 2014 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Eureka! I take it that clicking the button gives you the option of which account to delete? Or does it automatically delete all accounts on the list?

18. Conor Woods
    Posted October 28, 2014 at 9:26 am | Permalink

Thank You!

19. Posted November 1, 2014 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Thanks a lot …..

20. Posted November 6, 2014 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

THANK YOU! Google is fucked up, really…

21. David
    Posted November 26, 2014 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.

22. Gail
    Posted November 27, 2014 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

This post was very helpful. Now, does anyone know how to choose which email address to use as the default when logging in? I have 3 accounts in the dropdown list when I start typing to enter the email address to sign in and there is always one address already in the form box when I start typing.

It used to work perfectly, it used to always save the email address I log into the most as the default address for login, but now that most used one is third on the list and I have to select it instead of it just being pre-filled in the form field.

Anyone know how to select one account address to be the default?

23. basam
    Posted December 12, 2014 at 8:35 am | Permalink

I deleted my Gmail account
    But it is still in my list of choosing account

24. Vismajor
    Posted December 22, 2014 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

Thanks a bunch for this! I’ve been trying to get rid of old accounts from that list for months, and it was driving me crazy!

25. Kirstin
    Posted January 6, 2015 at 11:05 am | Permalink

THANK You! You are the first one to explain it clearly.

26. dervlagrace
    Posted January 8, 2015 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Thank you! The multiple accounts have been driving me crazy!!! This is exactly the answer I was looking for.

27. Kath
    Posted January 13, 2015 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Thanks heaps.

28. Posted January 24, 2015 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

The “remove” button does NOT remove the accounts listed on the page on this computer. (And we really are going crazy!) It is a “shared” computer on our Ref Desk so different folks want to log in.

29. Posted January 24, 2015 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Oh, and also we cannot log in to our gmail accounts from there now either! Sad! :(

30. Richard
    Posted February 12, 2015 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Thanks, helped a lot.

31. alex
    Posted March 3, 2015 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

32. Robert Frank
    Posted March 22, 2015 at 8:46 am | Permalink

Thanks from Germany for this hot tip, mate!

33. Al
    Posted March 22, 2015 at 11:33 am | Permalink

I am having this same problem, multiple accounts showing up in the list when I login. But there is no Remove button. There is also no Add Account button. Just a Create an Account button, which does just that (takes you to a create a new account page). Do I have a different version of Gmail or what? How do I get to the Remove button?

34. Frank
    Posted March 30, 2015 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

Thanks Ari. I followed your instructions and deleted a linked account but it hasn’t solved the bigger problem that began the moment I first linked two gmail accounts. Maybe you have some insight on this. I decided to link them because I was tired of having to log in and out of two different accounts and Google seemed to promise an easy solution. HOWEVER, the secondary account was the one connected to my blog, my YouTube, and my Picasa accounts, and the moment I linked the secondary gmail address to the primary one I lost access to these through the simple login process. Now, when I click on the secondary address, it shunts me onto the primary account where Google has thoughtfully set up brand new YouTube, Picasa and Blogger accounts for me with none of my previous content and no way to get to it. The only way I’ve been able to get to my original YouTube, Blogger, or Picasa is to go through Google’s recovery sequence and do a password reset. Thankfully I can at least do that. But as soon as I log out, access is lost again. Google is absolutely silent on this problem and I know there are thousands of us in the same boat. I’m ready to just ditch Google and all of its products even if it means losing thousands of photos in Picasa albums, and hundreds of YouTube videos. Nobody seems able to address this problem, least of all “Liz” from Google, who only chimes in when she wants to. Do you have any idea how to solve this problem? Thanks!

35. Posted April 1, 2015 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

I have two computers with both configured the same, e.g., Windows 7 with both Firefox and Chrome browsers. On one when I access my Google Accounts, all accounts I had created are still displayed for me to “choose an account.” This is great!

On the other computer, there is no repetition of my accounts and I must entere them again. Not so great!

What do I need to do to have my created accounts continue to appear from session-to-session when I sign in?

36. Matt
    Posted April 4, 2015 at 7:30 am | Permalink

Super, super helpful. Thanks very much!

37. Kim
    Posted April 10, 2015 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Thank you for posting this!!

38. Robert Kazanjy
    Posted April 13, 2015 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Thanks… it seems like more & more often Google breaks things when they try to “add a feature / make things better”. :(

Better is the enemy of good enough.
    If it ain’t broken beware of fixing it.

Where’s the “Send $’s for a helpful answer” button? :)

thanks again for the solution

39. Narendra limbu
    Posted May 2, 2015 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Hi google This emai account is invalid for me and I signed out once but also is choose and account.

40. Al Bayless
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

I found this on the internet, and it works.

When you go to the sign in page,
    1. select (but do not open) the account you wish to delete.
    2. hit the Down arrow. This brings up the account name below in the password space
    3. hold down the Shift Key and hit Delete. This removes the lower username.
    4. highlight the original name again
    5. hold down the Shift Key and hit the Delete Key again. That removes the offending name!

41. Michael
    Posted May 8, 2015 at 6:05 am | Permalink

Unfortunately, this won’t work for me. I have several old accounts listed every time I go to access my Gmail, but these accounts themselves have actually been cancelled. The remove button is visible, but when I choose one of these old accounts, it is no longer visible. Any ideas?

• Al Bayless
      Posted June 3, 2015 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Follow the instructions I posted on May 5, 2015. They should work.

• Michael
        Posted June 10, 2015 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Thank you. I did follow your instructions and they worked perfectly!

42. Gareth
    Posted June 12, 2015 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

THANK YOU!!!

43. Cristian
    Posted June 20, 2015 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

Gracias amigo

44. Pamir
    Posted July 24, 2015 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Thanks for this small tip that helped me to solve a problem which has been bugging me

45. Lucian
    Posted July 25, 2015 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Great tip, it saved me from viewing there an account of a friend who only logged in once, about one year ago!

46. Betsy
    Posted July 28, 2015 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much!

47. Vic
    Posted July 31, 2015 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Thank you, thank you! I have been trying to do this for a month now! Ahhh!

48. Denica
    Posted September 14, 2015 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Thank You!!!! A LOT!

49. Posted September 15, 2015 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much, this is the #1 Google search result for “how to remove google account from sign in” and it totally solved this utterly unintuitive procedure. Thank you.