HelloARI logo: vinyl signs and identity design home«    web design«    sign design«    photography«    blog«    contact«
web design and wordpress development 94114
blog»
san frnacisco web design

How to remove a Google account from “Choose an account” page list

53 Flares 53 Flares ×

google-sign-in-remove-button-missing

Here’s a quick tip on something very simple that I could not figure out for the longest time. One of those bugs that was somehow thought to be a feature at some point in the development process over at Google. Too busy not doing evil, I guess…

The graphic above is very straightforward and familiar to anyone who uses more than one Google account.  Easy to add or remove accounts, right? The tricky part is that if you are logged into any of these accounts then you will not see the “remove” button. Instead, it will look like this (with just “add an account”):

add account - no remove

Add and Login to Remove?

In other words, to remove an account you have to log out of a different account but it doesn’t tell you which account you are logged into. And to find this page in the first place you have to “Add account” from the top right menu – so you have to add an account and then log out of an account in order to remove an account.

There are many ways to end up on this page I suspect – jumping between Google services such as Adwords or Google Analytics, for example. These are some of the URLs that will bring up the “Choose an account” list:

How to log out? visit accounts.google.com/logout and Google will log you out — then the remove button will be visible.

Some of the keywords I tried to find an answer online:

• How to remove a Google account from your list of accounts on the “Choose an account” page?
  • How to remove sessions from Google accounts?
  • Google account +remove button missing

More links:

If you have never seen this interface it might be helpful at this point to know that once you can see the “remove” button then it’s very simple: click the “remove” button and ‘x’ any accounts that you want to remove from the list. This will not delete accounts of course, just remove them from the saved list. See the “Choose an account” picture at top.

Update 10/2014: Thanks for the overwhelmingly positive feedback on this post — seems like it’s been helpful to many people.

Update 11/2015:  It’s super simple to set the default Google account. You just have to log out of all the accounts and then first one you log in, is the one which will be the default, and then the next account you log in to will be the secondary account(s).
Details: osxdaily.com

53 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 42 Google+ 10 LinkedIn 1 Email -- 53 Flares ×
This entry was posted in Product Reviews, Web Design. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

27 Comments

1. ana
    Posted October 14, 2015 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

2. albator
    Posted October 15, 2015 at 5:24 am | Permalink

I had two accounts, one for work, one personal.
    Left work, but the work account was still there, marked as default, and I could not remove it, because the “remove” button was not present.

The solution: I had to create a third account, log into that 3rd account, log out, go back to the sign-in page and … voila! Now I had access to the “remove” button, and I could remove the old work account.

3. Gergely
    Posted October 20, 2015 at 1:13 am | Permalink

You just type https://accounts.google.com/logout into the address bar and it will log you out and the remove button will be visible.

• Linda
      Posted December 10, 2015 at 8:46 am | Permalink

I can’t even thank you enough for this simple trick. I posted a thank you to the general thread but it was your comment that took care of it. THANK YOU!

4. Sheila
    Posted October 30, 2015 at 8:55 am | Permalink

Thank you so much! This was driving me crazy and I couldn’t figure out how to remove other accounts on my laptop! Genius!

5. Tony Jordan
    Posted November 6, 2015 at 11:51 am | Permalink

OMG. You’ve made my day, my week and maybe even my year! At some point my son logged in using his school Google account on one of my laptops (or I did it trying to access something school-related). Ever since, *his* login was the default on my devices and I couldn’t figure out how to remove it. I had even posted to a Google forum about this with no success. Then today I decided to try again to resolve this and I found your article. It worked!!! My son has been banished from my login page! Thanks so much!

6. Lola
    Posted November 26, 2015 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Helpful, thank you.

I am still not sure if removing this will actually separate out all those accounts.

I created a new gmail account for a group project I’m involved in. Although the password is obviously different, it seems that when I gave access to my colleagues to the new account, they also had access to private emails which were in the other account!

7. Grateful
    Posted December 10, 2015 at 7:09 am | Permalink

WOW! Thank you so much Gergely. So simple, and it works! In one short sentence, you provided the perfect, easy solution I’ve been looking for. Thanks again and good wishes!

8. Linda
    Posted December 10, 2015 at 8:44 am | Permalink

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. I could write that all day and it still wouldn’t be enough. (Have I said “Thank you?”)

9. Mark
    Posted December 14, 2015 at 5:40 am | Permalink

Thanks. It worked.

10. Larry
    Posted January 8, 2016 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Inane software prompts… “Remove” is a verb, but the “Remove” button doesn’t remove anything. It just allows you to “Select Accounts to Remove From This Screen”, after which you must select “Done” (not a verb, by the way) to take the action. Have any of these software programmers taken a basic English class?

BUT kudos to Ari for posting this blog for all of us who can’t figure out how to “speak Google”. Much appreciated!

11. Raviraj
    Posted January 20, 2016 at 4:28 am | Permalink

Great. Thanks.

12. Surya
    Posted January 20, 2016 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks it worked.
    https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin went here and logged out then I arrived at a page which prompted me to Removed accounts.

Thanks.

13. Reto
    Posted January 23, 2016 at 12:08 am | Permalink

Wow, after a looooong search i finally found what i needed. Thank you SO much!

14. Ravenheart
    Posted January 31, 2016 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Thx a lot dude … and thx to Gergely for the direct link

15. Steve
    Posted February 1, 2016 at 12:46 am | Permalink

Mate, thanks so much for this!!!

16. Parker
    Posted February 16, 2016 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

I have an older samsung galaxy s4 that just got a huge update. I have 3 gmail accounts on my phone and want to get rid of 2. Any ideas as I can’t get a remove button to appear.

17. Benny
    Posted February 19, 2016 at 8:12 am | Permalink

i hadn’t seen the red hint above but once logged out of ALL accounts, the remove button appears. great tip, thanks!

18. JeanEats
    Posted March 2, 2016 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

OMG! You’re a lifesaver… I couldn’t figure it out for nothing! LOL

19. Christine D
    Posted March 8, 2016 at 3:16 am | Permalink

thanks so much for this! it worked for me 🙂

20. ELLEN
    Posted March 27, 2016 at 9:11 am | Permalink

THANK YOU!!!!! HOW SIMPLE

21. Lizzy Shishido
    Posted April 2, 2016 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Google had their own search results for this question I’ve been having for several months. I just left it because I could never figure it out. No one wants their ex’s email address linked to their computer… I appreciate this post SO MUCH.

22. Rick
    Posted April 8, 2016 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Perfect! Thanks for writing this up!
    Top search result for me googling: “remove accounts from google login”

23. Kevin
    Posted April 15, 2016 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Anyone ever run into the problem where the remove account button doesn’t do anything? I can see it making the normal “click” movement when I click on it but nothing happens. 🙁

24. Eva
    Posted April 15, 2016 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Thank you!!!

25. Abena
    Posted April 15, 2016 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

THANK YOU.

26. Derek Broughton
    Posted April 18, 2016 at 2:26 am | Permalink

Oh…wow. I’d NEVER have worked that out.