HelloARI logo: vinyl signs and identity design home«    web design«    sign design«    photography«    blog«    contact«
web design and wordpress development 94114
blog»
san frnacisco web design

How to remove a Google account from “Choose an account” page list

23 Flares 23 Flares ×

google sign in remove button missing 634x484 How to remove a Google account from Choose an account page list

Here’s a quick tip on something very simple that I could not figure out for the longest time. One of those bugs that was somehow thought to be a feature at some point in the development process over at Google. Too busy not doing evil, I guess…

The graphic above is very straightforward and familiar to anyone who uses more than one Google account.  Easy to add or remove accounts, right? The tricky part is that if you are logged into any of these accounts then you will not see the “remove” button. Instead, it will look like this (with just “add an account”):

add account no remove 634x174 How to remove a Google account from Choose an account page list

Add and Login to Remove?

In other words, to remove an account you have to log out of a different account but it doesn’t tell you which account you are logged into. And to find this page in the first place you have to “Add account” from the top right menu - so you have to add an account and then log out of an account in order to remove an account.

There are many ways to end up on this page I suspect – jumping between Google services such as Adwords or Google Analytics, for example. These are some of the URLs that will bring up the “Choose an account” list:

Some of the keywords I tried to find an answer online:

• How to remove a Google account from your list of accounts on the “Choose an account” page?
  • How to remove sessions from Google accounts?
  • Google account +remove button missing

More links:

If you have never seen this interface it might be helpful at this point to know that once you can see the “remove” button then it’s very simple: click the “remove” button and ‘x’ any accounts that you want to remove from the list. This will not delete accounts of course, just remove them from the saved list. See the “Choose an account” picture at top.

Update 10/2014: Thanks for the overwhelmingly positive feedback on this post — seems like it’s been helpful to many people.

23 Flares Twitter 3 Facebook 12 Google+ 7 LinkedIn 1 Email -- 23 Flares ×
This entry was posted in Product Reviews, Web Design. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

16 Comments

1. Matthew
    Posted March 19, 2014 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks Ari. This blog post answered my question fast and clearly.

2. Posted March 29, 2014 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

what a god send…
    i thought was going crazy as i couldnt find out how to get rid of some old accounts.

3. Rebecca
    Posted April 30, 2014 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks! Helped a lot and straight to the point for an answer!

4. Rashid
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 3:02 am | Permalink

5. Aysha
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Thank you for this. I spent a solid 20 minutes trying to figure it out. Who decided that was a good design?!

6. David
    Posted June 22, 2014 at 12:44 am | Permalink

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
    I am frustrated by this for ssssssssssoooooooooo loooooooooonnnnnngggggggg.

Google devs were not too sober when developing this feature.

DH

7. Féidhlim
    Posted June 25, 2014 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Boy isn’t it easy when it’s easy – but not a second before! Thanks for the help.

8. endy
    Posted July 3, 2014 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Thank you so much for this, it was driving me crazy. I noticed over 3 months have passed since you wrote this, so it looks like Google is not planning to fix it.

9. LG
    Posted July 20, 2014 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Thnx… i lost hours of my time trying to find HOW TO DO THIS.

10. Rebecca
    Posted August 4, 2014 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Wow. I did it, thanks to you! I still don’t understand, but at least I got rid of what I wanted gone! Thanks.

11. I Hate Google
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much! I hate Google. I’ve been trying to find this answer off and on for months.

12. Maureen
    Posted August 31, 2014 at 5:23 am | Permalink

Above is my first email address that automatically sends received messages to my Prime
    Email which is {removed}
    I can’t get into above rvtravel address to read my received emails as an old email keeps coming
    up as my premier email.
    I have had this problem occur quite often and sometimes I fix it myself but not this time.

13. Sandi
    Posted September 1, 2014 at 10:55 am | Permalink

I brought a tab from pawn shop and they didnt reset and I need to no how to remove this account. Help!!!!!!!!!!

14. Jacob
    Posted September 3, 2014 at 1:37 am | Permalink

Thank you very much indeed, this was driving me barmy!

15. Dennis
    Posted October 2, 2014 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much. this was %$##$@ me for weeks

16. Lori
    Posted October 3, 2014 at 12:13 am | Permalink

We were able to do this, but when we go back into the browser the account reappears. No matter how many times we remove the account it always shows up. Anyone have a solution for that? Thanks!